IRS Can Help Taxpayers Get Form W-2

Most taxpayers got their Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement by the end of January. You need your W-2s to file an accurate tax returns, as the form shows your income and taxes withheld for the year as an employee.

If you haven’t received your W-2 by the end of February, you should:

  • Contact your Employer. Ask your current or former employer for a copy of your W-2. Be sure your employer has the correct address.
  • Call the IRS. If you are unable to get a copy from your employer by the end of February, you may call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for a substitute W-2. The IRS will send a letter to your employer on your behalf. When you place the call, the IRS will need your:
    • Name, address, Social Security number and phone number.
    • Employer’s name, address and phone number.
    • Employment dates.
    • Estimate of wages and federal income tax withheld in 2017. Use a final pay stub for these amounts.
  • File on Time. You should file your tax return by April 17, 2018. If you still haven’t received your W-2, you should use Form 4852 (Substitute for Form W-2) Wage and Tax Statement. You’ll need to estimate your wages and taxes withheld to the best of your ability. To request more time to file, you can use Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File. You can also e-file a request for more time using IRS Free File. *Remember: an extension of time to file isn’t an extension of time to pay taxes owed. You can also get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due, and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or a credit or debit card. This way, you won’t have to file a separate extension form and will receive a confirmation number for your records.
  • Correct a Tax Return, if Necessary. You may need to correct your tax return. This could happen if you receive a missing W-2 after you have filed. If the tax information on the W-2 is different from what you first reported, you may need to file an amended tax return. Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to make the change.

All taxpayers should keep a copy of their tax return and supporting documents. Have Questions?  Give us a call at Wicks Emmett.  We can guide you through the filing process with us, and ensure that you have all the paperwork needed to help us complete this year’s returns for you.