Don’t Ignore a Notice from the IRS

If you receive one of the millions of notices and letters the IRS sends to taxpayers every year, don’t panic. IRS letters or notices typically are about a specific issue on your federal tax return or tax account and include specific instructions on what you need to do to respond.

Generally, the IRS sends a notice if you owe additional tax, you are due a larger refund or the IRS is requesting payment or needs additional information about your return.

Many of these letters and notices can be dealt with simply, without having to call or visit an IRS office. For example, you may get a notice that states the IRS made a change or correction to your tax return. If you do receive this notice, review the information and compare it with your original return. If you agree, you usually don’t need to reply unless it gives you other instructions or you need to make a payment.

If you don’t agree with the notice, however, it’s important for you to respond. Write to explain why you disagree, and include any information and documents you want the IRS to consider. Mail your reply to the address shown in the upper left-hand corner with the bottom tear-off portion of the notice, if provided. Keep copies of any correspondence with your tax records.

Notify your tax preparer of any notices you receive in a timely manner. If you need assistance in drafting your letter to the IRS, we may be able to help you respond in a way that will be most effective in resolving the situation.

If you have questions, call the telephone number in the upper right corner of the notice. Have a copy of your tax return and the correspondence available when you call. Check “Understanding Your IRS Notice or Letter” on for samples of the notices sent, including the reasons and a list of possible enclosures.

If you believe that you’ve received a fraudulent notice, call 1-800-829-1040 or visit a local IRS office.
If you need to make a payment, visit or use the IRS2Go app to pay with Direct Pay for free, or by debit or credit card through an approved payment processor for a fee.

Wicks Emmett is ready to assist you in responding to these notices by providing you with Tax Representation Services before both the IRS and state and local tax agencies. Please contact our office for more information.